“I don’t think in my wildest dreams I thought the day would come in my ministry where I would have to fight the state.”
But that’s exactly where Chris Lewis, a pastor at Foothill Church in Glendora, California, has found himself. Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF) is representing Foothill Church, a member of the ADF Church Alliance program, in a lawsuit against a California agency.
In 2014, the California Department of Managed Health Care (DMHC) announced that it would be requiring all insurance providers in California to provide coverage for elective abortions in their health plans – including churches. No new regulation had been passed, and the state department certainly hadn’t opened the question to public comment.
That left churches in California with two impossible options: paying for abortions against their beliefs or dropping health care coverage for their employees.
Churches across the country are facing legal threats more frequently. That’s why ADF created the Church Alliance, an affordable membership program that prepares, advises, and even litigates on behalf of churches so that they can feel free to preach the truth of the Gospel without fear of government punishment.
As Chris puts it: “It’s going to let most pastors sleep well at night.”
Here’s what members of the ADF Church Alliance receive:
- Legal review of church bylaws and policies that relate to protecting the church’s religious liberty;
- Direct access to attorneys to answer your questions about protecting the church’s religious liberty;
- Consultation for legal issues involving the church’s religious liberty (prior to litigation);
- Legal representation in cases involving the churches’ religious liberty (e.g., employment, land use, tax exemption, church member discipline/ removal, requests to use church facilities, government mandates or unconstitutional regulation, volunteer requirements, equal access to government property or benefits, and clergy confidentiality); and
- Specialized resources such as webinars and newsletters tailored to protecting the religious liberty of the Church.
Visit the Church Alliance website to learn more about how your church can become a member.